Open Class: Foundational Teachings
2514 Southeast Madison Street
Portland, OR 97214
Kyogen explains that after a number of years of zazen and sesshin practice, he began to see the world in a different way. It became important for him to explore Buddhist teachings and he was surprised and pleased to find that those teachings helped clarify what he was beginning to understand. His booklet Zen Roots is an explanation of that process. He will be working from that booklet, written a number of years ago, and available in the bookshop downstairs in the Zendo. The reading is not difficult or extensive, and it will help if people have read the material ahead of time.
- October 9, “Zen and the Self,” part 1. Zazen, four Noble Truths, Buddha’s Story, pp. 1-9.
- October 16, “Zen and the Self,” part 2. The Three Marks, Five Skandhas, Eightfold Path, pp. 21-35.
- October 23, “The Six Worlds,” part 1. Karma, Rebirth, Dependent Origination, pp. 35-44.
- October 30, “The Six Worlds,” part 2. Dependent Origination continued, The Six Realms, pp. 35-44.
- November 6, “Dharma Realm,” part 1. Nirvana, experience beyond dukkha, pp. 45-52.
- November 13, “Dharma Realm,” part 2. Nagarjuna and the Middle Way, Section from the Avatamsaka Sutra, pp. 52-63.
- November 20, Review and Wrap Up – Radical Non-dual (handout).