Dharma Rain Zen Center’s capital campaign for Planting Zen is an effort to transform a brownfield into a space for spiritual practice, community connection, and native habitat. Dharma Rain is committed to raising $1 million to make this inspiring vision a reality.
Additional goals for the Lotus Blooming campaign are to:
- sign 50 people up for planned giving
- secure $1.5 million in collateral
- receive monetary donations from 1,000 different people
- educate and engage the public with stewardship of the site.
The Lotus Blooming campaign kicked-off with the groundbreaking ceremony on June 8, 2013, and will continue for three years. As of September 1st, 2013, we have received pledges and dontations totalling ~ $350,000 in addition to $323,000 in targeted grants.
Although Lotus Blooming flows directly from Dharma Rain’s core mission of making the Dharma accessible to all within their everyday lives, it is different from annual fundraising in several ways:
- It is specifically tied to Planting Zen and all funds will be used for building Dharma Rain’s new campus and paying for the land, not for operating expenses. Capital expenses such as these are well beyond the annual budget, and most non-profits require specific campaigns to address these needs.
- We are trying to broaden our donor base with this campaign, so that we are not relying only on our local membership for our needs. We have a compelling case, because Planting Zen has substantial benefit for the broader public. We are doing environmental remediation, habitat restoration, education, urban renewal, sustainable development, and more.
- We are looking for larger gifts. This is an incredible opportunity to create something special for the sangha and region, and unique in American Zen. The scale of the project will require us to stretch our resources, and it is important that we get off to a solid start.
The first thing we are asking for is that each member have five conversations with people outside the sangha, in which you tell them something about the project.
Secondly, we are asking you to consider how you could aid this effort by investing in the sangha’s future. We’re looking for a wide variety of help: monetary donations or pledges, planned giving bequests, recommendations and contacts, collateral or low-interest loans, and participation at events.
Whatever your situation, there is a way for you to help make this vision a reality. We are asking for a gift to Plant Zen in Siskiyou Square and help this Lotus to Blossom.
Thank you for your generous support.