Dharma Rain Zen Center’s capital campaign for Planting Zen in Siskyou Square is an effort to transform a brownfield into a space for spiritual practice, community connection and native habitat. Dharma Rain is committed to raising $1 million in individual donations to make Phase I of this inspiring vision a reality.
Additional goals for the Lotus Blooming campaign are to:
- sign 50 people up for planned giving
- secure $1.5 million in private loans
- receive monetary donations from 1,000 different people
- educate and engage the public with stewardship of the site.
The Lotus Blooming campaign kicked-off with the groundbreaking ceremony on June 8, 2013. Fundraising for Phase I will continue for three years. As of February 2015, we have received individual donations and pledges totaling $549,671. – 55% of our goal. In addition, we have raised $493,000 in targeted grants for other components of Lotus Blooming.
Although Lotus Blooming flows directly from Dharma Rain’s core mission of making the Dharma accessible to all within their everyday lives, it is different from annual fundraising in several ways:
- It is specifically tied to Planting Zen and all funds will be used for building Dharma Rain’s new campus and paying for the land, not for operating expenses. Capital expenses such as these are well beyond the annual budget, and most non-profits require specific campaigns to address these needs.
- We are trying to broaden our donor base with this campaign, so that we are not relying only on our local membership for our needs. We have a compelling case, because Planting Zen has substantial benefit for the broader public. We are doing environmental remediation, habitat restoration, education, urban renewal, sustainable development, and more.
- We are looking for larger gifts. This is an incredible opportunity to create something special for the sangha and region, and unique in American Zen. The scale of the project will require us to stretch our resources. We have a solid start; there is more to do.
Whatever your situation, there is a way for you to help make this vision a reality. We are asking for a gift to Plant Zen in Siskiyou Square and help this Lotus to Blossom.
Thank you to our donors for their generous support. (Updated 10/17/2014)