Through stories and songs, art projects and games, discussions and ritual, children in our DharmaGarden are offered opportunities to deepen their understanding of themselves, the teachings of Buddhism and the practice of the Dharma in their daily lives. We strive to navigate a Middle Way between a sense of the sacred, mysterious, and ceremonial, and the light-hearted songs-and-games side of life. The children learn to use tools to tackle the deeper questions, and have a good time doing it.
DharmaSchool is for children and young people ages 3-18 who are interested in Buddhism or who come from Buddhist homes. It meets roughly every other Sunday from September to June. Participants are divided into six groups, roughly organized by age/grade: Lotus, Daisy, Dogwood, Willow, Spruce and Doug Fir.
Besides the biweekly class, other DharmaGarden activities include picnics and family days; participation in sangha activities; performances for the sangha; service projects; and monthly overnights for both the Spruce and Doug Fir groups.
DharmaGarden and the moving transition
Dharma Rain is moving!
We are transitioning to our new Northeast Portland location late spring/ early summer of this year. The plans are to build a new temple complex on our property at 8500 NE Siskiyou. Between now and when we get buildings on-site, there will be a number of changes and important information that we are trying to pass along to all of our many members and participants.
We will continue to have DharmaSchool classes and childcare at their current locations through June 1, 2014.
What will happen with DharmaGarden programs this summer?
- Mandala on the Mountain (Dharma Camp) will still happen July 13-19.
- Childcare will NOT be available Sunday mornings.
- Sunday morning services and the dharma talk will be held at Jason Lee Elementary school at 2222 NE 92nd Ave.
What will happen with DharmaGarden programs this fall?
- DharmaSchool is slated to begin in September. Registration for the 2014-2015 DharmaSchool year will be open by June 1. DharmaSchool classes are scheduled to meet in a temporary building on our property at 8500 NE Siskiyou.
- Sunday morning services and the dharma talk will continue to be held at Jason Lee Elementary school at 2222 NE 92nd Ave.
- Overnights for the Spruce and Doug Fir groups will not be able to be held on the property. How these events get adapted to our new conditions is still under discussion.
The DharmaGarden Steering Committee is and members of the governing councils of Dharma Rain are continuing to discuss and revise our plans as we get closer to the move. If you have any questions about this transition, please feel free to contact Jyoshin (DharmaGarden Steering Committee), Hoka or Kaishin (Board of Directors).